Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Steak Salad

This was my first attempt at a flank steak and I was pretty impressed with the way it turned out. They are an inexpensive cut of meat but I've heard they can be super tough if not prepared properly. I marinated it for a few hours in soy sauce, worcestershire, and fresh garlic. I grilled it outside on a gas grill but here's the trick: (as with any steak, I think) Get the grill super hot before putting the meat on it, cook each side only 4 minutes and flip only ONE time. Don't touch it once you put it down for the whole 4 minutes. If you overcook these, they WILL get tough. They have to be done no more than medium-med well. After you take it off, let it sit for about ten minutes before you slice it. Use a super sharp knife and cut against the grain on an angle making thin slices to lay over your salad. I used a mix of romaine and iceburg with bleu cheese and a balsamic dressing (both very good with the red meat) I made up real quick. Here is a complete list of ingredients for this salad, sorry, no measuring!

One flank steak (for two people)
Soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
fresh garlic
salt pepper

Romaine and Iceburg lettuce
Balsamic dressing (I make my own with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sugar)
Crumbled bleu cheese
Any vegetable you want to throw in there (I had an avocado so I sliced it up)

I think that's it :)

1 comment: